June 29, 2006

Hmm....which yarn to use?

Okay, so I'm trying to figure out what yarn I want to use to make the Hourglass sweater from LMKG. I am not a fan of wool at all. I just don't like how it feels, not even sure I would want to use a wool blend. I like cotton angora and cotton cashmere quite a bit (who wouldn't!). I would like the yarn to be machine washable as I have little ones who like to drool and leave baby schmutz on me. I am considering Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora in Burgundy (although not machine washable). But I read on the Hourglass knitalong that the cotton angora leaves "fluffies" everywhere. Not sure I like that idea.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for yarn I might use?

3 comments:

allisonmariecat said...

I think I've decided to do this one with you, even though I'll be enormous by the time it's cool enough to wear :) I'll swatch up some yarn from my stash, Rowanspun DK in a nifty nubby dark green.

I think Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool is the right gauge (and gorgeous yarn). I get mine at fuzzymabel.com. I've seen Knitpicks Andean Silk as a sub, even in their variegated colors. And in Cascade 220 (yarn.com). I wonder if Knitpicks' Elegance would work, too. That's wonderfully soft. littleknits.com does have Cash Iroha on sale for 20% off, too.

Holly said...

Allison, I would love to do a knitalong with you on this one! I just got my yarn and hope to cast on this weekend. We'll see if it actually happens since we're trying to get our place ready to go on the market on Monday. Yikes!

allisonmariecat said...

Wow. So...you're a little busy :) Yeesh! I hope the preparations go well. Sounds like a big project.

Now that I'm feeling better, I have to start making some room in our apartment. I have six months! Ack!