May 29, 2006

Topping it off

Well, after much deliberation, I decided to make the Children's Cotton hat from LMKG. I even went online and checked for errors in the pattern. Found it here at the blue blog. There's also a cute version of the children's placket sweater.

So I'm knitting along and everything seems great. I finished the whole thing in a couple days (given my limited knitting time). And well, I still had an uneven number of eyelet holes, even with following the "fixed" pattern for the eyelet round. So I'm not too sure where I messed up, but I just threaded the i-cord through a knit stitch to bring it back out.

I measured my just barely 8-month old's head and she was at about 18 inches (she is humungous by the way, without really be overweight or anything. She is just very tall and at the top of the charts for her age). Anyway, so I decided to make the child size hat thinking it would then fit her later this fall/winter. Uh, no can do. The hat just barely fits her now. So, I guess the hat will be given to another well-deserving, but small-headed baby. I did a gauge swatch and my gauge was right on. Unless I changed my knitting tension once I started, this pattern is definitely for children on the smaller-head side of the spectrum.

I used Bernat's Cotton Tots yarn in Lovely Lilac for the hat. And I REALLY liked the yarn. I think I may try a placket sweater in it next. It's so soft and easy to knit with. I think I like it better than Knitpicks Crayon. The Crayon was too stretchy (like my technical words?). I also want to try Knitpicks' Shine worsted.



1 comment:

allisonmariecat said...

Cute hat! Great job. It's too bad about the fit...it can be hard to tell what size the designer's going for. Debbie Bliss patterns, for example, are HUGE.

Yeah, I'm still laughing about the whole "giant head" thing.