December 09, 2008

More knitting finished

Wow! I'm on a roll! Little things are awesome to make. They take no time at all!

And for the little who will be receiving the fish I made in the previous post (thanks Bob and Amber for having a boy so I didn't have to make the girl version of my fish right away) :-), little Bryce is also receiving this adorable ducky hat! I sort of made this one up. I made the rolled brim hat from Last Minute Knitted gifts, casting on for a size smaller than the baby size. In my experience, this hat runs large. And I wanted the hat to fit a newborn (and a smaller newborn at that. Bryce was 5lbs, 7oz.) so I cast on 48 stitches instead of 56 for the baby size, using Cascade Peruvian Cotton Luna yarn in Lemon. I took the idea for the duck hat from Knitted Critters for Kids to Wear. This adorable book has all kinds of animal hats for kids. They are for about ages 3 years and up so they are larger. I used this pattern to make the duck bill. Sewed on some eyes. Added the tiny tuft at the top (my own addition) and viola! An adorable newborn duck hat that Bryce's older sister can use for a doll when he grows out of it.
I also finished an animal/doll sweater for my younger daughter. I decided to do the same sweater as in the previous post, just with different colors. And this time I got the lace right. I actually didn't get the lace 100% right until I was doing the sleeves. Allison suggested I switch the YO row to the third row of the lace pattern (a RS row in other words) and that did wonders! Thanks Allison!

No comments: